Saturday, January 4, 2014

Turkey Meatballs - New Year's Eve Dinner

Happy New Year's Everyone! 

As always, I'm a little late. A little late is better than never though they say. I feel that every year is the same. Everyone starts by writing a list of resolutions.. I guess deciding what they want to accomplish by the end of the next year. This year I didn't think about it much I guess because every year I have the same goals. I feel that New Year's isn't the only time to make a new goal but you can do that any time throughout the year. Every day is another day to better your life, your health and of course helping those around you better themselves as well. I understand that a new year signifies a new start and I agree that some people may need that. I remember two years ago, I didn't know who I was at all. I felt lost and negative. All I did before the year 2012 was go clubbing then sleep. I would also go to work of course. I had a job at school but sometimes I could barely even make it to work with my heavy drinking. I would say that my biggest influence would be my boyfriend though. Since I meant him, I feel that all I want to do is become a better me. I never met anyone who would go to the gym everyday except my mom. I guess seeing it from someone else made a difference especially if it was someone I could possibly be with almost every waking moment. I have to admit that I am still not working out as much as I want to or eating as healthy as I want but I am better than I was two years ago before I meant him. I am more positive, more healthy, more happy with life. Most importantly, I am trying to improve myself even though I was better than two years ago when I was depressed, drinking and partying all the time. This year I didn't get to celebrate New Year's Eve with my boyfriend who I felt has made me a better person. I didn't go to any huge parties or count down with people dancing around me but yet I still felt happy. I was with one of my lovely sisters and my adoring nephew but yet it was so exciting. I spent my night tickling my nephew until he laughed like there was no tomorrow. I listened to my little sister yell and scream with exciting/anger as she was playing Settlers of Catan online but I still felt so content. I also of course cooked us New Year's Eve dinner. I could never leave the food out! I wanted to try something new from the usual food I cook. New Year, new recipe right?! Hahaha. I decided to make turkey meatballs so I went on a hunt once again for another recipe! :)

I would have to say that my turkey meat balls were pretty successful. I was a little worried that the meatballs weren't cooked fully so I put them in the oven for another 5 minutes. I would say that was a bad idea on my part. The turkey meatball turned out to be a bit dry. Luckily, I had some left over marinara in the fridge so I put some on my meatballs for a moist taste! Perfect idea and delicious!


Recipe adapted by Shannons's Knits .
Yields: 12 meatballs

Ingredients:
1 lb ground turkey breast
3/4 cup chopped cilantro
3-4 cloves of garlic - minced
1/2 small yellow onion - diced
2 eggs
2 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp oregano
1 cup instant oatmeal

 Directions:
1. Preheat oven at 450 degrees F.
2. While waiting for the oven to preheat, chop cilantro. Mince garlic, and dice the onions.
3. Place all ingredients into a large mixing bowl and mix using your hands. Add egg whites if the ingredients do not bind together (I used a little over 1 lb of turkey so I added a little egg whites so all my ingredients would stick together).
4. Shape the ingredients into 12 balls and place into the baking dish evenly.

5. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil to keep meat moist while cooking.

6. Place the baking dish in the oven and cook for 30 minutes or until meat is fully cooked.
7. Serve meatballs with marinara sauce or salsa and enjoy.

I ate my meatballs with marinara and a side of brown rice and asparagus.

No comments:

Post a Comment