Friday, December 20, 2013

Creamy Tomato Pasta w/Asparagus, Spinach & Tofu Sausage

So excited that this will be my first pasta post! I know my sister, Tiffany, would really appreciate this post. I decide to make a post about pasta because she reads my blog and I know she LOVES pasta!! I hope she enjoys the picture posted on this blog and decides to use this recipe one day. Also, this posted is dedicated to all the pasta lovers out there :)

This was my first time making a creamy tomato sauce. I accidentally added 1 whole bag of pasta instead of half a bag so I ended up having extra to give my sister to try! I thought my first time making this pasta was amazing expect I felt it didn't have enough sauce since I added to much pasta! Please remember not to make the same mistake :D The pasta still ended up being pretty amazing though and I loved the twist of adding the asparagus. My boyfriend thought it was odd that I added asparagus into the pasta.

The tofu sausage - not really sausage - was actually pretty amazing. I couldn't tell that there wasn't any meat even though if I knew it's simply tofu. Perfect substitution for meat. I think the pasta would also be amazing with grilled chicken. If you do not have access to tofu sausage, you should definitely add grilled chicken.



Recipe adapted from Budget Bytes.

Yields: ~6 servings (or more if you accidentally add too much pasta :D)

1/2 bag of whole wheat penne pasta - from Trader Joe's

Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat then add a pinch of salt. Add the pasta into the pot and cook until tender - it'll take about 10-12 minutes (look at your package of pasta because it depends on the type you get). Drain the pasta and pour cold water over the pasta so that it stops cooking. Set aside.

While you are waiting for the pasta to cook, you can dice the onions and mince the garlic. Cut the asparagus into about 1-1.5 inch pieces. Cut the tofu sausages into pieces as well.

1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 small onion - diced
4 cloves of garlic

Add olive oil into the skillet over medium heat then add onions and garlic. Cook until softened and transparent - took about 3 minutes since my heat wasn't on low.

1 (14.5 oz) can of diced tomatoes - you can also use fresh tomatoes
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
Pinch of red pepper flakes
Freshly cracked pepper- for taste
1/2 tsp Pink Himalayan salt

Add the can of diced tomatoes (include tomato juice), dried oregano, dried basil, pinch of red pepper flakes, pepper and salt into the skillet. Stir to combine all ingredients.

2 tbsp tomato paste
3/4 cup of water

Add the tomato paste and water into the skillet. Stir until the tomato paste dissolves into the sauce - do not let it sit there because it will not dissolve (trust me, I tried haha).

1 oz. cream cheese
1.5 tbsp Greek Yogurt
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan

Turn the heat down to low. Add 1 oz of cream cheese and 1.5 tbsp of greek yogurt into the sauce mixture and stir using a whisk. Add half of cheese then stir until melted. Add the other half of the cheese and do the same.

1 bundle of asparagus
1 package of tofu sausage from Trader Joe's (no actual meat in the tofu sausage)
1/2 (9 oz) bag Spinach
1/2 lb cooked wheat pasta

Add the cut asparagus into the sauce along with the tofu sausage. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the spinach and stir until wilted - about 3-5 minutes.

I recommend adding the sauce only when ready to serve - in case there is extra pasta and sauce. The pasta tends to soak up the sauce after a period of time.

Enjoy :D

No comments:

Post a Comment