Saturday, November 16, 2013

Brown Rice Chicken Congee



I love congee especially the congee my aunt makes. Congee = a lot of white rice which is why I never eat it. I decided I needed to make a healthy alternative. I mean.. it's still carbs but at least I can eat congee and not feel as guilty :) I never made congee using brown rice and I think this year was the first time I ever even made congee. I make all these complicated desserts and food but yet I have never made congee. So today I went on a mission to make my boyfriend's favorite chicken congee but with brown rice instead.

I used the homemade chicken broth that my aunt made since she had extra. I also made some changes to my aunt's chicken congee to give the brown rice congee a twist.

Yields: ~4 servings

First, wash the brown rice in water and drain then repeat a couple of times. Add water to the brown rice and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook; remember to stir occasionally so the rice doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot. After an hour, stir in the carrots, shredded chicken and sprinkles of Original Blend Mrs. Dash seasoning. I also add some homemade chicken broth to give the congee more flavor. Cook for another 30 minutes and your congee is ready to eat! :)

1 cup brown rice
~5 cups water (you can always add more liquids if there isn't enough)
~1.5 cups homemade chicken broth
1 large carrot, chopped
2tsp Original Blend Mrs. Dash Seasoning
1/2 piece of cooked chicken breast, shredded
Ginger

I added some spinach to my congee later on for more vegetables. If you would like to add spinach, add it right before you eat the congee. I thought that eating brown rice congee was a nice change. I always feel healthier when I eat brown rice instead of white rice. I also grew to love the flavor of brown rice over white rice.

For more flavor, place ginger (the size of a tablespoon) into a blender and add about a tablespoon of water then blend. Pour the mixture into your congee.


This is for one serving of brown rice congee.

Source: Calorie Counter

No comments:

Post a Comment