Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Brown Rice Spam Musubi

Every once in a while, I get this craving for spam musubi. I don't feel good about eating a large amount of brown rice so I asked my boyfriend to make a brown rice version. I know it still isn't that healthy to eat spam musubi. When I really want to eat spam musubi though, I would rather have brown rice. Spam musubi is probably the only thing my boyfriend actually knows how to cook so I gave this project to him. He is the one who made the brown rice spam musubi in these pictures. It was really delicious! Good thing he doesn't cook much so we only eat this once in a while :)



I used hot & spicy spam. You can use any brand or flavor of spam you want. You can even use meat that you have cooked at home.

Rice vinegar: 

Recipe adapted from singleguychef.

Yields: 6-7 spam musubi (depending on thickness of spam)

Appliance and cookware used: rice cooker and spam musubi maker

First, add rice into a rice cooker pot then add 4 1/2 cups of drinking water. Cook the rice for about 90 mins in a rice cooker; brown rice will turn out best if there is a setting for brown rice on the rice cooker.

2 cups brown rice
4 1/2 cups of water

Next: You will have to cook the spam on a skillet. I would suggest waiting until the rice is almost done to cook the spam. 

Slice the spam into about 6-7 slice pieces while you are waiting for the rice; set aside



When the rice is almost ready, heat the pan on high. Once the pan is hot, turn the heat to medium. No oil is needed to cook the spam. Cook both sides of the sliced spam until brown.

1 can of spam of choice



Add rice vinegar into brown rice right after the rice is ready. You must add the vinegar into the rice while it is warm. Avoid using a metal bowl to mix the rice vinegar with the brown rice (the vinegar might react with the metal).

2 tbsp rice vinegar



Assemble your spam musubi using a spam musubi maker.

3-4 half sheets of nori cut in half

Here is a video to help you assemble the spam musubi if you do not have a spam musubi maker; CLICK HERE.

Place 1 half sheet of nori (cut in half) on a cutting board, the place the spam musubi making on top of the nori. Add rice into the spam musubi maker. 

Place the spam on top of the rice. 

Add another layer of rice on top of the spam.

Remove the spam musubi maker then use a small amount of water to "glue" the nori together.

Here is the final product :)

Calories may vary depending on the type of meat used. 
Source: Calorie Count

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, I found your web site via Google while looking for a related topic, your website came up, it looks good. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks
    Hi there, I found your web site via Google while looking for a related topic, your website came up, it looks good. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks
    brown rice receipes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rinsing rice before cooking removes much of the starch, thereby reducing the extent to which individual grains will stick together.  For more info see low glycemic index rice

    ReplyDelete