Thursday, November 14, 2013

Simple & Healthy; Baked Chicken with Salad

I know, I know. You're probably thinking... "who needs to learn how to make a salad?!" I mean, a lot of times it is a lot easier to just go out and buy a salad. Since I started cooking a lot of my own food, I realized that a lot of meals are simple to make. I guess you could say that sometimes we just over think how difficult a task may be. I used to think that the salads I made were disgusting without sauce and I never knew how to portion the toppings. To be honest though, I realized all the amount of  ingredients you include in your salad or any meal in general is all based on preference. For example, my boyfriend likes his food saltier than I do. He likes to put sauce in his salads but I don't. What's the point of a salad though if you decide to put a large amount of, say ranch, on your salad? Exactly, there is no point. I mean, I would assume that people want to eat salads as a healthy meal. There is nothing healthy about ranch dressing. Another point I want to make is that there is no point in going out and paying $10-20 for a salad when you can make more than just one plate of salad with that amount of money.

Here is a simple and healthy salad. I prepared the chicken last night. This morning it took me less than 15 minutes to put my salad together and it is DELICIOUS! :)



You may choose to cook the chicken the night before or the same day you make your salad. I usually cook about 4 pieces of chicken breast so it will last me several meals.

Preheat your oven at 350 F degrees. Line a large pan with aluminium foil then place the chicken breast inside the pan. Cover the pan with aluminium foil and poke holes into it with a fork. Place the pan into the oven and bake for 45-55 minutes.

4 pieces of chicken breast (defrosted)





I cooked my chicken for another 10 minutes to ensure it was cooked thoroughly.


You can add any toppings on your salad. This combination is one of my recent favorites.

2 handfuls of spring mix, sometimes I add some romaine lettuce to the mix.
Sliced red onions (depends on how much onion you like)
3 scoops of canned corn
1/2 diced roma tomatoes

My boyfriend's parents got a big case of canned corn at Costco for about $8. I love putting corn in my salad because it makes my salads colorful and gives it that sweet flavor. You can basically add whatever you like into your salad. As long as you have cooked chicken, it will take less than 15 minutes for a delicious and healthy meal! :)

Below are other combinations of salads that have made.

Simple Caesar salad. It cost $5 at Costco but sometimes it cost more depending on the restaurant. This salad has romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, baked chicken breast and a little bit of Parmesan cheese. 


If you must have salad dressing, I would suggest using Trader Ming's salad dressing (you can find it at Trader Joe's).



Also, you can try using flavored olive oil. The basil flavored olive oil is amazing :) Just give the salad a quick drizzle (a little goes a long way)! You can also use balsamic vinegar with olive oil.


No comments:

Post a Comment